Call for Artists: The Snowflake Trail 2016
The Snowflake Trail returns for a third year on 1 December 2016 and Open Culture CIC and Liverpool BID Company are once again seeking proposals from artists and creative organisations to design and decorate fibreglass snowflakes to form part of the trail. The snowflakes will be 1.5m tall and will be installed for the duration of the trail, from 1 December 2016 – 3 January 2017.]
About the Snowflake Trail
Experience Liverpool city centre transformed into a festive spectacle by the Snowflake Trail; the city’s very own winter festival of immersive soundscapes, spectacular light shows, interactive window displays and a trail of sculptural installations from some of the region’s most exciting visual artists.
Follow along with a festive story that will capture the imagination of young and old alike, and solve the clues for the chance to win incredible prizes.
The 12 fibreglass snowflakes offer a blank, 3D canvas for selected artists to showcase their work to the vast audiences that visit the city centre over the busy Christmas period. We ask all artists applying for this commission to consider the following:
- Snowflakes are 1.5m tall and 1.36m wide
- While there are no specific design criteria for this commission, artists should create a design that is vibrant, eye-catching and festive. Designs should work for a broad range of audiences and ages and can tell a story or explain the context of the design. Our aim is for all the snowflakes to capture the public’s imagination, and help to create a magical Christmas atmosphere in the city centre over the winter months.
- Snowflakes will be installed on street 24 hours a day, so must look effective day and night (the sun sets at 3.55pm from 1 Dec 2016). Please note the city centre doesn’t get completely dark as there is street lighting.
- If adding anything additional to the original fibreglass structure of the snowflake, artists must ensure that the finished structure will remain intact for the duration of the event, is safe and does not create any sort of hazard for the public.
- Where possible, all commissioned artists will be promoted as part of the wider Snowflake Trail marketing campaign.
Budget, production & decoration
- Commissioned artists will be paid in instalments totalling £800.00 (excluding VAT) per snowflake. This fee must cover the artist fee, time taken to decorate the snowflake, plus all materials and varnish.
- Snowflakes are 1500mm high, 1360mm wide and weigh approx. 25kg without the concrete floor plinth.
- Artists will not be responsible for installing or removing the snowflakes on street, but will ideally be available for any touch up work that may be needed during the event period. If artists are not available, we will complete the work to the best of our ability.
- Snowflakes are made of Class I, fire-retardant fibreglass and are finished with a primer, ready for decoration.
- We recommend acrylic paint as the ideal material for snowflake decoration, however vinyl suitable for outdoor use or other waterproof and weather resistant materials can also be used.
- Snowflakes must be finished with either a two-pack acrylic varnish or a clear lacquer aerosol (minimum three coats) to create a waterproof, sealed finish.
- Snowflakes must be decorated in the space provided by Liverpool BID Company, during the allocated timeframe. You cannot use your own studio.
- Snowflakes must be completed, including drying time of all coats of varnish, on or before 23 November 2016.
How to apply
- Artists should fill in the online application form here.
- Designs must be completed using the official Snowflake Trail template. Applications that do not use the template will not be accepted.
- Designs must be submitted as an attachment to the online application form – no paper applications will be accepted.
- Selection will be based on the quality of your idea and design and your ability to deliver the work creatively, professionally and safely within the timescale and budget.
- The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 23 October 2016.
- Artist commissions confirmed – Wednesday 27 October 2016
- Commissioned artist briefing in the painting space – Tuesday 1 November 2016
- Snowflake decoration & varnishing – 2 November – 23 November 2016
- Snowflake Trail launch – 1 Dec 2016
- Snowflake Trail end – 3 January 2017